When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Dive sign done!

We have been rushing through another build that I am unable to discuss or show anything on. But I was able to find some time to wrap up the Dive sign I started awhile back. It feels good to strike that off the list. The Pelican's Landing sign is almost finished as well. Whenever I got a moment, I would mix some paint and apply it, set it off to dry, and then get back to the 'real' job we have going on. This job gets delivered on Friday, and then we start the flying machine build. The 'model' is built in the computer and has undergone some minor changes due to script enhancements. I have been finding time here and there to get the concept model laid out in real world dimensions, and usable files for Aspire. I am thinking that I may make a styrofoam engine block, or maybe not, I am a little indecisive on this part! Hopefully Monday will see our Techno cnc chewing out frames and wing components. Until then, at least the dive sign is done!

8)
JO

2 comments:

  1. Nice work jamie, Sorry I was not able to go to the recent meet. You did mention a few post back about showing how to make rope. Still on the table for possibile topics?
    Best regards,
    Michael Mezalick

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Christensen27 October 2011 at 14:49

    I'd sure love to see how you'd make a styrofoam engine. Also I'd love to see how a pro uses the styrospray. I tried it once and I got poor results. I'm sure it's because of the lack of experience.

    ReplyDelete