When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Saturday 19 November 2011

The wings get started

Jody and I went into the shop to day  to do a few things on the flying machine. Jody started cutting the fabric for the wings while I was able to draw up the seat backs in Aspire.
 The fabric is very specific. It is the same fabric that is being used in the inventors house, and needs to be incorporated into the plane. While she was cutting all the fabric, I was able to stand around and watch our Techno cnc cut the seat backs for no other reason than it's cool!


 Being that the camera will never be close enough, or high enough to see into the cockpit, we don't actually need seats, just the backs. I carried the seat backs all the way down to the bottom frame so the camera wasn't limited on it's crane shot.  One of the script requests was that it be VERY evident that there are TWO seats in this. This is why we raised the rear seat up higher than the front one. A small, but important detail nonetheless.
As I couldn't handle anymore edge-banding for this year, I cut the seat backs from 1/2" MDF and just applied the same stain. It works very well and doesn't appear much different than the rest of the plane.
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment