When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 5 December 2011

Not every jobs a big one

Last week I was able to help Christian at Brilliant Creative finish up the cabinet portion of his crazy new office furniture. I really enjoyed working on that one. Partly cause it was a lot of fun, but mostly because I made him edge-band all the plywood!!!!

He's going to finish the rest of the work on them at his place. I look forward to seeing the photos.

We've been a little busy prepping some digital files for a couple of clients. I was able to squeeze in another small promotional sign as well. This was done all in Aspire, from vectors to 3d:

The other job we've got going on are a few video game characters for a tv commercial. These guys will never make it to the final spot though. They're just stand in characters for the CG company to mark the final positions when they animate the characters. Nonetheless, they do want them to look good and be the same scale as the composite ones they will eventually use.
One of them is 'Sackboy' from the  Little Big Planet game. This guy is only 3.5" tall.







We will add details like the zipper and the stitching first thing in the morning. He's looking good though. The 3d computer files we're supplied by the animation company, and I used Aspire to lay out the parts and machine them from Wren-shape. He is as posable as we could make him at this size, which is what the clients wanted. Tomorrow we also start the build on the 'Mod Nation' racers characters. The two characters are 4" tall, but the coolest part is we get to build they're little hot- rodded cars as well!
They're are also 4 little weirdo characters that are kind of blobby looking. We may be 3-d printing those due to time constraints. These all shoot this Thursday, so time is a little tight right now. I still am waiting on some 3d files, but hopefully they come through first thing tomorrow, as they are no where near usable as they come.
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment