When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 25 April 2012

This is gonna be a Roller Coaster ride!

We received the approval for our newest build. This shoots fairly soon, so we will be full bore by the end of the week. It's a print ad shoot, so the camera angles are already determined, and how much we need to build has already been decided as well. We will construct the first row seat of the front car of a roller coaster car. As well as a portion of a living room couch. Hey, I don't make this stuff up! I can't say too much, but I think it's for a huge new tv coming out.
So I quickly rendered a mock up, based on the real-world dimensions supplied. The shot will be an over the shoulder view, fairly tight, so the floor of the car will never be seen. In fact, we won't even be building the seat, the people will be sitting on crates, or 'apple boxes' as they are refered to.

We also had our meeting yesterday for the 'Time Travel" pod for an upcoming indie film. Can't say too much about that either, but their is some recognizable talent.
I modeled up a quick render for the meeting of what the base of the pod may look like, based on some simple line drawings we received.
 Tomorrow, I will get the styrospray on our sign for out-front, and as it's kicking, I hope to get to the fabric store for some roller-coaster couch fabric. How many people get to say that. How many people might NOT want to say that!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment