When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday, 27 August 2012

most time ever spent in one kitchen!

Sadly, there was just no time to post anything this week :( From last Sunday, to today, Jody and I worked 132 hours each. Our contract guys didn't work nearly as much, but they did put in long hours pre-building all the set walls. We loaded up all the bits and pieces Thursday morning at 7 am, and didn't get home until 2:30. Then we did it all again on Friday. This really put a wrench into my Turbo town schedule, so Jody and I worked 15 hrs on Saturday, and then worked 30 hours straight thru until today. I'm pretty wiped!
The studio the kitchen set was in is a fairly new studio and was a little hard to find at first. Decent size, but not like any set I've been on before. It was pretty sterile. I'm used to paint flying and plaster slopping around.
 Roger, Andrew and John got to work right away flying in all the wall panels, and building the jack stands, while Jody and I got to do the messy stuff in the loading bay area at the studio. Their build was very well air-conditioned, and the loading bay was 1200 degrees! It was easy to head into the studio to "make sure they were doing it right :)
Jody tackled all the cabinet painting. None of the pieces were shipped painted, to avoid damage. I didn't get the laminate installed on all the counters at the shop, so I had to do it at the studio while she was painting. As big as the space was, it did get a little crowded for a bit. Thankfully pre-light wasn't until Saturday, so we didn't have the lighting guys hanging cable in the mix as well.
 The studio floor was as far from flat as you could get, which posed all kinds of problems with keeping things straight and level. But the three guys didn't even slow down a degree, they just kept going.

They got a lot further than i thought they would, given the floor circumstances.
The island I had built had 3 sections, divided by 4, brushed aluminum columns. This was fairly large, the counter top that sits on it was 11 1/2 feet from tip to tip. The whole thing ended up being ridiculously heavy. Good thing I installed casters before it was all assembled! I had our Techno cut the dual stove top openings at the shop, so that save a ton of work on set. I like when set build days go as smooth as possible.
 Deanna Kubista was the buyer on this set, and did a great job picking the vinyl wood flooring we had to install. As heavy as it was, it made a great seamless covering that certainly added a lot to the whole feel of the kitchen.

All of the cabinets were basically just frame panels with mdf doors we made, stapled on from the back. all the upper cabinet doors were done in a brushed metal laminate, adding to the very contemporary feel of it all.  I got great joy in asking people I never met before to pass me a screw driver from one of the drawers. It's funny when they don't open!
 After 2 very long set days, it was done. It looked stellar! Very real. Mind you, the real appliances helped a lot with that, but you would think it was all real at first.

The glass tile backsplash was real, but we mounted the tiles with contact cement on a separated panel, leaving 4 removable tiles for screwing the whole thing right to the set wall. This was done so we wouldn
t have to wait until the end of the day, with dry paint, to get the tiles installed.
Now were back into Turbo Town again, I'm really quite happy overall that we got this job. A lot of work, but well worth the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment