When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Turbo town wraps

The final leg of our journey hasn't been as easy as I would have liked. There was a staggering amount of hours involved! A last minute revision on the face of the hero truck model, coupled with zero time for rework, resulted in scrapping the truck mold we machined, as well as all ten finished trucks. This was something that came as a total surprise. We ended up having no choice but to go back to the original model that was supplied. So we re-did all ten trucks, which added at least another day and a half to imovable deadline. Oh well, I'm getting used to sleeping standing up :)
All in all, it looked pretty good. Hopefully we'll get to re-do the mold with the new face next season when there's more time!

After a few revisions by the director, this was the character for Fill the front end loader. John whipped this up pretty quickly. He gave me the Illustrator files, which I sent to Aspire for toolpathing.


I dumped a pile of parts on John's desk, and after a little while he had them all assembled into the character. Thankfully he knew where they all went, cause I had no clue!

I took a ton of pics of the loaders mechanics before stripping it all down. I was worried that I might forget how things were assembled after the paint was dry. Good thing, cause I seemed to have forgotten right away!
With the pics on my phone handy, the re-assembly was pretty straight forward.
With the vinyl windows applied, and the brushed aluminum wheel disks, Fill was ready for his long car ride to location. I wish the eyeballs were in, but we didn't have time to dis-assemble him for a picture :(
The last large vehicle was the fire truck. The body had been started when we got it, but the cleanup would have bankrupted us on time. It was faster to start from scratch, especially when our Techno cnc is cutting the parts! The rear portion in the picture was all cut from 1/8" styrene like the rest of the trucks.
The front already had a mold that had been made, so we were able to get a couple of good pulls from 1/16" styrene. It didn't totally work with the back end of the truck, but we were able to succeed in getting a good meld of overall design for the time frame.
Jody got all the racer fins painted and finished. Some of the colours were so transparent, she didn't think they'd ever cover, but she's pretty persistant!

One of the racers is named Jewel, and as her name would imply, she's got a lot of bling! The description for her was a bedazzled car, over the top. I think Jody nailed it right on the head. This girls got b-b-bling!

With Turbo town done, and the exception of a 2nd dumptruck head that came today, this tsunami is over!
It was a ton of work, from all the houses, to the vehicles, I thought I'd never sleep. But as always, the deadline comes, and goes. So much of it is a blur, it's hard to remember the little details. Thankfully I own a camera, cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to recall very much in a month from now.
8)
JO

1 comment:

  1. I have just installed iStripper, and now I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete