When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 3 September 2013

It certainly was a long weekend!

I didn't get to spend much of the long weekend relaxing, as each project on the Zerby Derby build has to keep rolling. We have a snow effects job to tackle next week, so we need to keep on truckin!

After spending a little time removing any tooling marks from the hero character mold, the form was ready to slap on the vacuum former we made earlier.
 The vacuum former was a great build. The bed size is big enough for 2 vehicles at once, and unlike last years supplied former, this one is a one man show!
We pulled the bodies from .060" PET-G. The final trucks look great. I'm a great appreciator of all things design, from cars to appliances, to everything in between. So when I really study the final body, there are a lot of sections I really like about it. I love the way the light reflects off the high arched front fenders, and the sharp transition into the eye arches. What a geek!
It didn't take a lot of time to pull all 20 truck and car bodies. Not nearly as long as it's going to take to trim them all out!
The other project that got all wrapped up was the light house. It got it's paint job, and the rear hatch door installed. This will be the door that opens so they can puppeteer the rotating light at the top.
 I found an old joystick handle that took one for the team. This will be the pretend beacon light controller.
On the front side of the lighthouse, the fixed door opening with the dummy joystick also go installed.

I used a 3 inch lazy susan turntable plate that lets the light swivel via the pole inside the lighthouse.
Here's the final lighthouse, ready to perch on the shores Zerby town!
The ferry also moved along as well. The hull got it's rubberized primer, and a finish coat of Rustoleum oiled bronze color. A little bit silver/ bronze/ and dark grey, all in one can. Pretty nice color actually!
On the underside of the hull, I put in six eyelets. These are below the waterline and will let them pilot the ferry without the expense of running an actual outdrive motor. I also added a fitting that will let the hull fill up with water, so they can make the ferry look overloaded, and almost sinking when the script calls for it.
The inside of the hull got a piece of 1/4" pvc as a sub-floor. the flood-able section is below this sub-floor. What isn't shown is the two 3/4" pieces of tube that act as vents to relieve any pressure build-up, possibly limiting how much water can actually fill the chamber.
Tomorrow I'll get the ferry railings and decking wrapped up!

1 comment:

  1. Those look nice. I don't know how much Vacuum forming you've done, but one cool trick i picked up for trimming this stuff out is to use a slitting saw mounted in a drill press or mill. Put on an oversized plywood table on the press and spin the pieces with the saw cutting from the outside. It'll take maybe a minute a piece.

    Mike C