When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Last of the Lottery

The last portion of the OLG lottery build was the painting. By the time the large "paper mache" forms were ready for paint, it was around midnight. It was a little stressfull, as we had to be on set with everything at 7am. This meant we would have to leave at 5:30 am at the latest! Not much sleep, that's for sure.
The look for these was to be totally handcrafted, so this meant hand painting. I vectorized the different sports balls, then sent the painted areas to our plotter to draw the masks, that we would cut out by hand. I didn't want to risk sticking adhesive vinyl on the newly painted surfaces.
The hand painted look would come from using a brush to outline the sprayed portions.
We didn't try very hard to keep super crisp lines, but we still tried a little :)
The pieces took up a huge amount of room in the shop. Even though it was crazy hot that evening, we ended up closing the door in the end, due to the on-onslaught of blood thirsty mosquitoes! 

We had about 9 fans all running to dry the acrylic latex paints, which only had around an hour to dry before they got loaded into the cube van.
I was glad to drop them off, and actually slept for a few hours in the rental truck before heading back to the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment