When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 14 March 2014

The Last Christmas Story!

With the mold for the crosier finally finished, we cast up a couple of them in rigid white plastic. For added strength, we added a metal armature inside the mold. When the resin locks onto the metal, it should be almost indestructible! We also cast 2 additional crosiers from softer rubber. These will get the same finish, but will be softer in the combat sequences, in case of any accidental mishaps during the fight scenes.
The second crosier was cut in half, as per their request. This is so FX can make it look like it's been buried into someones chest! Mmmmm...........Nice!

With the castings cleaned up, and primed, they all got a glossy coat of black paint. This is the first step in our buffed metallic finish!
We let the finished pieces sit for awhile to dry before we packed them up and headed out to deliver them to the Art Director in Toronto!

I might cast an extra one for myself to settle any traffic disputes that might arise on the way to the city. The DVP highway can really bring out the worst in commuters!

8)
JWO





1 comment: