When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 29 May 2014

Plastic tubes everywhere!

John got all the tubes vacuum formed, and although he didn't say much, I think he was glad it was over! In fact, he started putting laser cut offcuts into the molds as well, so there was a weird assortment of small letters and shapes in the plastic sheets as well. A clear sign of boredom I believe :)
The trimming is a two part process on these. The first trim is to run the part around a small laminate trimmer with a bearing, this gets rid of the bulk of the plastic sheet.
The second trim uses a dremmel with an 1/8" guide point bit that follows the flange, cutting off any additional remaining plastic. I'm sure John was super excited to trade in vacuum forming for this crappy job!
I glued up a couple of sections of the tubing to see what it was going to look like. The pop bottle is in for scale. These are pretty large sections!

The other project in the shop at the same time is some cabinets for a travelling "Hockey Canada" museum.


2 of the maple cabinets get the logo carved into the face, so our Techno did that while I assembled the remaining portions of that cabinet.
It looks great front and center!
Heres one of the final cabinets. There are actually 2 of these that bolt together around a 6 in steel pipe. The pipe becomes the "hinge" that lets the cabinet rotate as a pair 90 degrees. This will allow the custom trailer's sides to roll inwards without hitting the cabinets. One of these cabinets gets to hold the Stanley Cup!

The good news is my stack of maple is quickly getting smaller!
8)
JWO








No comments:

Post a Comment