When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 17 March 2015

Skater dolly.......it's cooler than your thinking!

I have been working on a video project recently, and I am really enjoying it! I am camera man-editor, director, etc! Or, as normal people say, "a one man show" HA HA!
Anyways..........

I have been wanting a small table dolly for some motion shots. There are a ton of them available, but by the time I drive to a pro video place, and back, it's a few hours.
So being that I own a cnc, and have lots of material handy, I decided to draw one up, and cut it out.
I also added angle degree markers for both axles, just so the front and rear wheels could be placed at the correct angles to each other.

I have a box full of in-line skate wheels, which were the last part of the puzzle! All in all, it works great for what I needed. It was about 15 minutes to draw, and 30 minutes to cut and clean up and assemble! Plus I got my first shot with it already!!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment