When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday, 14 April 2016

The World, in miniature!

I looove miniatures! The best part is that they leave the shop when were done!
This build has us working on 3 separate environments. Some of the build portions in the shop, might not get covered very well, but I will show the finals in the studio.

The first build is a city landscape for the commercial. That means buildings, and a few at that.
4.5, 4x8 sheets of 1/4" styrene to be exact! These building are relatively low detail, as they can't overshadow the kids toy that their filming. They range in height from 8" to 48" tall. Our Techno cnc made short work of all the pieces. I cut all the 1/4" styrene with the single flute Amana cutter from Tools Today. I have been using this cutter for everything plastic, over the last year, and it's still kick n' ass!
This is about as complicated as the buildings get! They're only 3 sided though. Largely for budget reasons, but mostly cause they gotta stick a bunch of lights in them all.
I had the cnc cut the panels to size, then used our angle jig to router the mitre corners. Some tape as a mitre fold, flooded with methelyne, and BAM, a new building!

All said and done, it took about 3 days to cut, assemble, make windows, and eventually paint. Beat that Trump!
The windows were all numbered, so it would make sense after painting, as a lot of them were individuals. For the most part, I used .030" PETG sheets, with the standard peel and stick window frosting. After that, we used clear shipping tape to fasten them to the inside.
On the larger buildings, I used translucent coroplast. I really liked the corrugated lines from it!
Man, we got a lot to do..........

But while I'm doing that, If you haven't voted for my short film Endlewood, PLEASE head on over to the  My Road Reel website, and vote!!! I'm gearing up to shoot my 40 minute film, and winning this competition would change this next film for me! Just click on the title card below, and it'll whisk you on over there!

http://www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/1478

Thanks for stopping by, and THANKS for voting for us!!
8)
JWO




No comments:

Post a Comment