When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday, 20 April 2011

I'm running out of Death titles




Today was a little slower than I would have liked. Between the dog not pulling his weight,(see last post) and engineering new gears for in the top of the unit, I didn't get much actual fabricating done. Jody got the concrete pylons coated with the first of many paint techniques to come.
This is definitely one of those jobs I would have never taken on as Prop shop WITHOUT our Techno cnc.
As there are a LOT of gears and mechanical things happening on the top of this unit, I find it a little hard to wrap my head around how it will all work when it's done. This, for me, is one of those jobs that I will build the first set of mechanics, get them all happening, and then design the next set of mechanics to it. With using Techno cnc routers and Aspire, I can easily pull up the last set of drawing we machined, and add to it after getting a feel for the real world dimensions when they're placed into the machine. Something next to impossible the old school way.

This is where we are now in the drawing stage. The whole design is supposed to look overly complicated and somewhat inefficient. When the machine is done, we will have a 12 volt ATV winch lifting the harrow, and a second motor driving the rest of the gears the whole time the machine is "running". It's gonna look great when it's all rusty and old and moving. I have decided tonight that I will drive a set of pulley's off the main motor, which will belt their way down to the harrow, so it looks like all the gears at the top are driving the tattoo needles in the harrow. I really like this machine, and it certainly is a design challenge!
 Once we cut all the shafts to length, and add the appropriate bushing/spacers, it will all be pretty sweet looking.
 JO








No comments:

Post a Comment