When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

dive sign modelled

I got started fairly early this morning modeling and vectoring the dive sign project. This was a lot of fun, I really like the computer end of things. After I had all the vectors drawn, I used the helmet vector to set the size for the 3d model I would build in our Sub-D modelling program.
 This is the computer model when I finished it. I always model in full 3D, then Squish it down on the axis that I need. If I wanted it on a 3/4 angle, I would rotate the model, then squish it.

 Here's the same model now that it's been squashed on the Z. The next step was to separate all the pieces out. The reason for this is I wanted texture on the helmet, and a lighter texture on the 'cages' for the view windows. The glass I did separetely as well because I wanted it smooth with no texture. All the texture will be applied in ASPIRE, as I find this faster than texturing the original model in Hexagon.
Here are the components, all separated out, ready for individual importing into Aspire.

And finally, these are all the outline vectors for the rest of the sign. Before I imported the vectors, I brought in the finished helmet with all the pieces attached so I could get a usable outline for the helmet placement. This made it easy to align all the different objects. When I'm ready, I will import the helmet pieces, and use the outline for placement.

I think I will have to shelf this job for the next bit, as we have a whole whack of bicycle lane stencils to cut, as well as the Chinese courtyard and mountain miniatures for this toy commercial to start. Then I think we are on to a full size warehouse loft set for the end of the month.


No comments:

Post a Comment