When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 5 August 2011

Diving continues.......................

I scrounged up some time to get a little paint on the dive sign today. I had primed it yesterday between cutting vinyl and a delivery for another job. It is quickly coming together now. It will be a nice piece to hang on display in the other sign shop. I am really starting to like these kinds of signs. I may just make a killer sign for this kind of work, and put it out front of the shop. It would be great stuff to do between jobs. The helmet got all it's patina on it, and all that's left for that is to attach the porthole cages. Painting has been a joy, when I get the chance, and it moves along fairly quickly! I really should have done it double sided with a full helmet in the middle, but my HDU supply is getting low, and I can't get any more until late next week! I have decided to make a bracket with rusty chains that the sign will hang from. I think this will knock it out of the park. I have a bunch of styrene to machine for a friend of mine on Sunday, so I will be able to get more painting done as our Techno cnc chews out that stuff. With a trade show booth looming around the corner, I will have to paint fast!
In this photo, the text has been done on the top, and the rust is just starting on the bottom text. The wood grain went really fast, as did the blue color.
I couldn't wait to place the helmet and porthole cages in place for the photo. It can be a little like Christmas when the parts all start to come together!


JO

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome painted up! Nice work as per usual! You definitely should do up something really cool for in front of the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks namebrand! I'm workin on the bracket now, tune in again!

    ReplyDelete