When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 1 August 2011

#Technocnc keeps us very busy!

I am going to harp this blog on the benefits of owning a cnc router. This is a purchase that anybody who is involved in fabrication should be considering. I truly love my Techno cnc. I have said before that I have owned other machines, but Techno cnc is the one I stand by. There is no on-going compensation, or a bonus, or anything. My preference is Techno cnc, through and through. In order for someone to continually talk about, and continually promote a product, it has to be a reliable piece of gear, with exceptional customer service to back it up. Most cnc router purchases will be paid off completely by the 6-8 month mark, due to the diversity that they enable. We are always getting jobs that aren't related to movies and television at all. This is a direct result of good marketing, and the equipment to back it up. With a return like the one I just quoted, a fabrication company will actually LOSE money in the long run by NOT having one. When I started, I was on a very limited budget for a machine purchase, so I had to get a 'less than ideal' used machine. Still, I learned haw to use it quite well. That machine was paid off on the first job we got it for. Pretty nice if you ask me. This opened up the way for a second machine purchase. This one was considerably more money, but paid off in 3 months. By that point, I was ready for a 'real' machine. A Techno cnc router. Every time I fire up our Techno, I am assured it's going to do the job, and do it flawlessly, in record time. One of the last jobs we ran on it was trimming vac-formed shells for a Laser Quest game manufacturer. We originally machined the vac form mold for these vest plates, so getting us to trim the parts out of the vac-form sheet made sense. This kind of job is a far cry from 'props and sets', but shows how a Techno cnc can, and will, open the door to new business, regardless of the type of fabrication business your in. We have done custom wood mouldings for mansions, in-layed wood doors, styrofoam packaging prototypes, the list goes on and on. And we aren't in ANY of those businesses.

Every time we do a run of these vests, there are between 50 and 100 pieces. Once the file is written, it just gets used over and over again. Another job I couldn't do without our router!

JO

No comments:

Post a Comment