When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 5 January 2012

Making progress!

 Our Techno cnc finished up the last of the cleanup passes on the Lawyer sign. This was on the router a little longer than I had expected! In fact the whole sign seems bigger than my mind pictured it, even though I designed it.
The hole in the middle is a recess for the "scales of justice" I will fab as a separate piece and add on. This will be a nice touch I think.

The steel frame I painted earlier this week got placed into it's home. I used styrofoam to fill the spaces around the frame and fastened it in with urethane glue. This sign is gonna be very strong mounted between the 2 posts that another contractor is installing.
Our I carver finished the other side of the robot fish for our Institute sign. It was cut from a 2" X 20" X13" block of HDU and ran for about 2 hours on the finishing pass.

The back half has a block set into it that will be the mount for fastening it onto the sign backer. I didn't get time to glue them together, that will be done tomorrow while our Techno cnc cuts the backer panel. I hope to get the I carver machining the "bow thruster" covers and maybe the porthole eyes in the morning.

8)
JO

1 comment: