When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 25 June 2012

Crashin for the camera!

We had to re-mold the beer tap handle as there were 2 small air bubbles in the small text. The worst place for air! So we had to scrap the mold and re-make it today. Sometimes things just work out that way!
We started the machining on the crash test dummy head this morning while we were waiting for the truck to pick up the last portion of the cruiser tables.

The model was imported into Aspire, where the toolpaths were quickly assigned. I decided to cut it with a 1/4" ballnose with a 4% stepover. This was a good combo of finish and machine time.


The machining didn't take very long, as usual, with our Techno cnc.
The neck pieces were pretty quick to fire together. I cut a series of disks from 3/8" rigid pvc, as well as the 1/2" black sintra from the cruiser table leftovers.

I wrapped the rigid pvc in brushed aluminum vinyl for the metal look the neck seems to have in the reference images. The neck is a little long, but this should give them some compositing room after they shoot him.  I had our Techno cnc make two small divots where the approximate eye locations will be.  These will insure that when we put the eyes in, that they will be accurately placed in relation to the nose and brow. I still have to drill out the holes in the back of the head for the two bolts that "hold" the rear head plate on. The crash head will get primed and painted tomorrow, then he'll be off to the studio for his acting debut!
8)
JO




4 comments:

  1. The head looks really good
    Blue Sails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i really dont know who am i addressing right now i would like contact the person who did this, i actually would like to work on a project, please contact me at jampuero2@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Johnny! You can reach us through the Oxenham Design website link on the side right panel!

      Delete