When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 3 January 2013

Getting closer to the finished sign!



I started the day by getting the color and the weathering on the marker buoy finished up!
I do believe that the seagulls are all painted now. I don't think Jody has anything left to do to them.
With the exception of the fish in the one gulls' mouth. The rocks and the 'Lake Scugog' sign are pretty much the only thing left!
I got the text portion of the sign done as well. I didn't want heavy 3d on the text part of the sign. I ended up building it with 1/4" pvc flats, glued and screwed together.
It looks pretty flat in the pics, but I like the "low relief" look, especially with all the hubbub happening above this part. The little white bubbles are a really nice touch as well.

Were so close to being done, but we're going to be forced to shelf it again for the next few, short deadline jobs. Maybe the sign will get installed before our 1 year anniversary in the current shop space!
8)
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment