When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Is That a Head in a Bag?!?!

Before you call Horatio Caine, the heads not real! It's this weeks quick job for a cosmetics company info-mercial. We didn't have a huge part in it, but a part nonetheless! It was totally straight forward, which is a really nice break, everything laid out in black and white.

We basically just had to fabricate a telescoping aluminum pole, in a brushed finish, that the various heads could attach to. I think for hair-cutting, as per all that hair in the head bag I guess.
I had our little Techno lc3024 cut all the various reducers and caps from 1/2" rigid pvc.
It would've been o.k. except for some reason I decided to draw the original pieces for some kind of magical telescoping pole that doesn't exist! So I had to recut them. Weird.

We had B&M Welding do the aluminum welding for us. We have moved into the world of welding now, but aluminum I save for the pro's. Once the second round of reducers, that actually fit, were cut, the assembly was a snap. The pole will bolt to a raised platform via the flange in the picture.
The other portion of the build was the company's logo for the back wall of the set. We cut these from 1.5" styrofoam. No need to hardcoat, just a few thick layers of latex primer and paint. My kinda letters! We'll fasten these to the set wall with some light-weight double sided tape.
We install tomorrow around 10 am, but as the studio is right downtown in the city we'll be leaving early for sure.

Well, I guess I need a break from getting up at 11:00

No comments:

Post a Comment