When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Club-handed for the day!

With the steering wheel grips cast and cleaned up, it was on to the next part of the build. I can honestly say that I wasn't excited at all for this part. After spending some alone time with the steering wheel, I was able to determine the angle and grip I would be casting my hand in.
I decided that as my hands would be entombed for the better part of the day, we would do this portion at home. That way I could watch tv while the rubber and plaster were curing!
We did this the exact same way as we cast the steering wheel portions. The only difference is that for casting body parts, we had to use liberal amounts of release cream. This helps the rubber come off the skin easily, and keeps all my arm hair intact.................we'll see about that part!  First, the slimy, wet, cold casting rubber got brushed on. The first coat is always the slower setting silicone, this allows the rubber to pick up the most amount of skin detail.
After about ten minutes, Jody brushed on the next 2 coats of the faster set rubber. It's right around this point that I am very aware of how hairy my arms actually are!

Once all the rubber had set-up, it was onto the plaster jacket. Jody did most of the work, but I was able to help with my left hand. Although I did hear mumbling under her breath as I tried to be helpful. It took awhile for the plaster to set-up well enough to try and remove the jacket. Way longer when you're down one arm, that's for sure.

In the end, the jacket came off easily, and we split the rubber off fairly easy. HOWEVER, it was the most painful mold I have ever made. I lost about half my arm hair in the mold rubber. In fact my arms are still really red.

So to all the leg waxing ladies in the world...I am truly humbled by your pain thresholds. I never want to do that again. I would shave my arms next time....oh why didn't I shave, why?

It pretty much took the whole day to make these 2 molds, so tomorrow we'll head back to the shop, and cast these up. I will say the molds look great though.......somebody call the vet, cause these puppies look sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment