When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 28 March 2013

F1!

I started modelling the F1 racecar last night. I find it impossible to sit around and chill if there is something to do. So I worked on 3d modelling the car last night. I want the car body style to be non-specific, the graphics will be the identifier on this.

I did an image search on-line, again, there was no specific car, just generic. I cam across this image from 123RF:
This is close enough, and pretty generic.
I brought it into PS and distorted it a little to more resemble the overall shape I want. I love the fact the wheels are oval, and will probably lean them forward for a speedy look! It will definitely look inspired by those cartoon looking cars that people modify in Photoshop. I thought about sculpting it from epoxy putty over a blank, but this car has to look pretty slick and shiny, and our Techno excels in that department!
I quickly massed out the body in Hexagon, using the reference image as some sort of guide. Because we might get to make this one, I'm paying attention to how I might machine this, and modeling it with this in mind!
With the smoothing applied to the model, it's looking pretty sharp. Now I wish I could drive it around! It probably wouldn't comply with F1 standards, but it sure would turn some heads!
Once the wheels got modeled, my excitement quickly grew! This is gonna be saweet! Those are some pretty slick Goodyears. The only thing really left to do now will be to add the details like the spoilers and suspension components, as well as the over sized drivers head. Someone has to be in control of all that horsepower!
Oh, wait till the ladies see this in my driveway!
8)
JO





No comments:

Post a Comment