A behind the scenes look at film and television Prop making peppered with everything else creative we do!
When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIREsoftware, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.
Thursday, 11 July 2013
Goodbye Coors Light Hiker Dude!
Jody got all the tedious miniature barbs fabricated for the barbed wire obstacle course on the Coors Light game.
She used some thin wire, wrapped around a small piece of brass rod, then clipped off each piece, and pulled the barbs out.
While she worked on the barbed wire, I molded the small garden taps, and the posts they're attached to from some Aves sculpting epoxy. I also molded the 2 poles that the zipline attaches to.
While the some of the paint was drying, I drilled out the base for the coat hanger wire poles that the barbed wire attaches to. I purposely made them a little crooked and unevenly spaced. They got a coat of rust colored enamel, and the base got painted in burnt umber for the mud.
We posed the little character to be face down in the mud, and drilled him out for the 1/8" rod that mounts him into the base.
The barbed wire got wrapped around the poles, and painted silver to stand out against the mud. A little clear was added for gloss to make the mud look wet.
The pool and filling hose got installed, as well the bull rushes that have started to grow in the puddle made by the leak!
The garden hose is also bulging, ready to pop!
But our little contestant seems to not care a bit about the shoddy workmanship of the leaking pool.
We decided to add some waving flags at each checkpoint to dress them up a little.
The final piece was the bent 3/32 aluminum tube for the zipline handle. I screwed a small eyelet into the end to hang it from braided fishing line we used as the zipline.
And here's the overall final finished game (X2) before the case. I didn't get any good pictures with the case on, as all the reflections made it impossible to photograph!
Goodbye little Dude, I'll meet you at the party cabin!