When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Sorry, I couldn't quite hear you

The ear was the next model to machine on our Techno. Unlike the lips model, the ear needed to have the backside machined, so it wouldn't look so thick.
If I don't have to limit my toolpaths to any particular area, and I want to double side machine it, Cut 3d from Vectric software is the best for me.

You can do it in Aspire, but Cut3d is WAY easier, and the interactive tab placement feature makes adding tabs a breeze. Plus it calculates the top and bottom toolpaths at the same time.


I Machined the ear on our little Techno, as the other parts of the build were being cut on our bigger machine.
The next part of the build was the Facebook like button. They wanted it in 3d, but as everything for Facebook needs to adhere to strict guidelines, and be pre-approved, it was safer to stay with laminated flats, pulled right from the icon pack. The base was pocket milled into 1/4" black pvc.
Each layer was cut, then added into the recessed pocket.

Pretty simple, but looks kinda cool!

The final part of the build was 12 grey letters cut from 1/4" pvc, then painted grey. Pretty straight forward, that's for sure!

Now I can get back to our crazy octopus for the sign contest!
You can follow the progress of everybody's different take on the sign at our forum, just follow the link:


8)
JWO





No comments:

Post a Comment