When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday, 8 August 2013

A little more body is all I need.

There hasn't been very much building at the shop this week, I'm doing a fair amount of 3d work, but our vacuum former is almost done! Just kinda waiting on heaters.

I did manage to get the octopus body built, but it's little tiny bits here and there.
As our big Techno was cutting Vacuum former pieces, I cut the octopus on our tabletop machine. I really like this machine, probably because it doesn't take as long to clear the crap of it when I need to router something!

I didn't get any progress pics of the assembly steps to the octopus, stupidly enough, but I did get pictures after it was all put together:

Most of the final finishing was done at home, between emails, and such.

Soon, soon there might be a finished contest entry from us!


  1. Your plan is extremely talent and that I relish reading your post. Thanks for sharing!!! keep it up!!!

    Read more information :- Brother Printer Technical Support

  2. This octopus head looks great!
    I just can not figure out how you were able to route it.

    1. Thanks Eric!
      It was just a matter of strategically slicing the model for 3 axis machining. I think I cut it into about 4 sections, maybe just 3, and glued them up after.