When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

No Sign Competition for Me :(

I have tried to stick to the "A little here, a little there" adage on our Institute sign for the competition we're involved in, but sadly there isn't any time left in the day for me anymore. And I'm a huge believer in doing what you love, and I know that if I'm not enjoying doing the Institute sign, then I shouldn't be doing it. I will finish the sign, but the competition will be long over. It kind of stinks a little, but I really am running out of time, on all of our projects! The vacuum former was a bit of an unplanned event, I was hoping to tackle it in the slower winter months.

The last little bits that got done to the octopus was the body paint job. I base coated the body with the MM copper paint.
I decided not to use the MM copper patina at this point, as I don't like the uncontrolled way it gets applied, especially because I want varying degrees of patina. So I went with a verdigris paint/glaze mixture.
A lot of the vents, and other small sections got picked out with varying tones of Rustoleum Metallic Accent paints.

I wanted the bottom of the octopus to be very patina-d. The hull shape, and prop guard keel were based loosely on the very early transoms of steam ships, and I wanted the texture to match. This was iron paint, dusted with iron powder. The powder goes almost black and rough like very old rusty metal. The overspray from the rusting solution really pushed the copper paints age that I used on the main body, so the whole underside looks in pretty rough shape, absolutely perfect for this!

So sadly I have to shelf our sign for the time being, but I will start it again soon, as it's way too cool no to finish!!!

1 comment:

  1. As far as I am concerned you already won the contest, after all it was your sign and ideas that stimulated the puffing of chests and "my dog can whip your dog thing". I am sure it is all well intentioned and good fun:>) Now get back to work. Dan Keith