When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Tombstone Tuesday!

Henceforth, the establishment decrees, that this day of July the 28th, in the year of our Lord two thousand and fourteen, shall forever be known as "Tombstone Tuesday"

Yup.....There it is.

The most recent gig is a tombstone for an upcoming film. Styrofoam is the obvious choice for this project.  I started with the vectors supplied by the Art Department. It was great that they sent everything to size! Our Techno ate through the job pretty quickly.
I used our little hot wire cutter to carve a couple of trenches on each side of the tombstone so I could glue in a piece of pvc pipe The pipe is there to accept the 2 rods that they'll pound into the ground on location. No worries if it's windy!
I used low expansion window and door foam as the glue. With a bit of water, it should be kicked in about 40 minutes.
After the glue had kicked, Jody got started mixing and applying our scenic mud. We tinted it grey to help out with the final limestone color we'll be applying tomorrow.
The base for the stone also got it's texture coat as well. We used the crinkled tin foil as a mold of sorts for the edge texture.
Once the mud had hardened up a bit, I rolled it with a heavy textured roller. Once that set up further, I was able to use the trowel to burnish the texture down a bit.
Tomorrow I'll get the text cut, and the final paint done!
Ahhhhhh...............Sweet, sweet Tombstone Tuesday.........

No comments:

Post a Comment