When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Counter Spy Cuisinart!

When I said it was a whole day slicing Agent Chevalier, I should clarify. The actual slicing in STL Slicer was only a couple of hours.

The rest of the time was spent on file conversion, and part orientation. Hex doesn't import .STL, so that means I have to import, then save each piece out. I had to bring the pieces into Hexagon so I could orientate them on the XY. This takes a while :(
You can orient the pieces in Aspire for further slicing, but as the parts export from STL Slicer in the orientation they were created, it can be a bit of guesswork. A little off here and there, could lead to disastrous results on the final model.
Then it was just a matter of bringing them all into Aspire for layer slicing and machining!

In order to keep the hand finishing to a minimum after cutting, I strategically sectioned off each angle change in the model for toolpathing. This would let the cutter travel in the optimum direction for the final finish toolpaths. Then I combined all the separate toolpaths into one cut large cut file.

In order to keep the material waste to a minimum, I cut the second layer of the pieces as blocks, then glued them where they were required. Using our Techno, I cut the blocks to there final profile shape, then ran the second layer 3d toolpaths on just those areas. This kept the waste to a minimum.

 The process was repeated for every piece of spy guy that was thicker than the 2" HDU we were using.
It took a total of 10 hours to machine all the parts for 2 guys.

This also included running our LC3024 for any of the smaller parts that would fit on it.

With the exception of the hands. I left these until last, as they were the most troubling to deal with.......

No comments:

Post a Comment