When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 16 December 2014

Watching the pros at work!

Our call time for shooting the gingerbread build was 8 am at Westside Studio.
We're shooting the Fedex job through famed photographer George Simhoni. George is great guy to work with, in fact everyone at Westside is great to work with! George is one cool cucumber, with such a dry sense of humor, sometimes I don't know if I should laugh at what he says. The answer is always yes, but sometimes my brain can't tell right away!

We also showed up with enough candy assets to intimidate the Easter Bunny. We laid out all our candy so the clients, and art director, could choose if they wanted to add anything to the build once they could see it through the camera lens.
I spent quite a lot of time in front of the camera as well! Not as an amazing man-model, but more of a candy truck wrangler. Jody was also on set for this this, and was the royal icing queen, when it was needed.

The great thing about shooting stills, is the camera doesn't move very much from the original layout.
A bit higher, abit lower, a little left or right, but usually always within 12 inches of the concept artwork. This allows us to know exactly how much of something we need to build. Like the roof on the house. we only built what you can see in these 2 pictures. The back side of the truck has no icing, or logo even. And it's gonna be a cold gingerbread winter, with no back walls on the house either!

This job was awesome! A lot of fun to build at the shop, and even more fun to shoot on the day. Plus the deadline was really 3 days, so we didn't even have time to hate it because it dragged on!!!

At the end of the shoot, George and I decided to whip out a stop motion feature film with the assets available to us.

Please sit back, and enjoy the film below, the world will never witness another cinematic masterpiece like this again:
This is why I love my job! Everyday is different, and we get to work with the most amazing people all the time!
8)
JWO


No comments:

Post a Comment