A behind the scenes look at film and television Prop making peppered with everything else creative we do!
When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIREsoftware, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.
Tuesday, 13 November 2012
A blast from the past!
While we work on our current job with an NDA, I came across some pics of older stuff I thought you might like to see. By old, I mean a couple of years, not decades!
This was a small piece for the kids show "World of Wonder" They wanted a simple hot air balloon that would deliver the mail from around the world to the WOW headquarters. The basket was resin cast from a sculpt of wicker we had done. The miniature sandbags were fabbed from HDU that was carved to shape. And the balloon was actually an over-sized Christmas ball that is used in retail Christmas displays. I think the ball was around 20" in diameter! It couldn't be overly delicate, as they had to lower it into frame on a pole while it was loaded with mail.
This frosty piece of art was for a Wrigleys gum billboard ad. The package was the real package, and the frosty ice was made from a combination of spray window frosting, and salt! With a spritz of glycerine and water for the melted portions of ice. The glycerine kept the "water drops" from flattening out. It looked this frosty all day long under the studio lights.
This was a wall section of many from a trade show display from the launch of the video game "The Secret World" The "parging" was 1/2" mdf, and the bricks were styro-foam. I used 1/4" mdf brick cutouts placed on the sheet of 4" styrofoam, then using a propane torch, I flamed where the mortar would be. The cutouts protected the brick portions, and recessed the mortar lines. We then had the brickwork hardcoated with a 2 part urethane truck bed coating system. It was seriously durable.
I'll try to upload more photos when I find them. There were a lot of interesting elements to this display.
At the time of the build, this was the trailer for the game. Based on that, I wish this was a movie!