When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 1 November 2012

Rustoleum!

The last few weeks have been almost out of control, almost! We've had a number of projects that we haven't been able to share with you. This always make me a little sad, as I really enjoy recapping my day, here on the blog. I have been saving these posts for when the agreement dates have passed, then I will be free, free I tell you!

I always seem to get asked about our finishes that we use, and in film and television, finishes are what trick the viewer into believing that that crappy piece of MDF is really a VERY heavy metal plate, or aluminum, or copper, bronze or brass!

It's also no secret that we promote the products we use on a regular basis. The products that we use have been tried and true, and if they work for us, we want you to know that they will work for your projects as well. One of these products is the Modern Master metallic water-based paints. We have used this product extensively over the years, with amazing results.

However, it has been a small inconvenience for us to get them on extreme short notice (which is just about every job we do) We have had no problem ordering it, just a problem with lead and delivery times.

So I decided to meet with Lawrence Genga, who is the Director of Marketing for Rustoleum Canada,
and Shelley Lebert, who is Brand Manager - Small Project Paint & Private Label for Rustoleum Canada.
The reason for the meeting was to find more information about the products we use all the time.
The main one being the Modern Masters paint (which Rustoleum owns) and how we could get it more readily.

The result of the meeting was that Modern Masters is readily available (in Canada anyways) as
"Rustoleum-Metallic Collection" The good news is that it's carried at every Lowe's retailer!
I am also aware that it's available at Menards, south of the border from us.
This is a big deal in a pinch for us. The only difference, according to Lawrence, is that the Metallic Collection has the extender added into the paint to keep it from drying too fast on large areas. Whereas the Modern Masters comes packaged without it, but purchasable separately.
We usually buy in bulk quantities, but the average reader may not need as much as we can go through, so I thought I would start to let the world know!

 Although re-branded, and different colour names, the colours are in fact the same.
This might be old news to some people, but still important nonetheless!
The other metallics we use are the Rustoleum (Tremclad, depending where you live) Hammered paints. Both are available in quarts and spray cans.
 The quarts come in a few different colours, all of which are solvent based, and can be combined for some pretty crazy finishes.
The aerosols come in a slightly broader range, which when sprayed over themselves wet give some neat effects as well.
We tend to lean toward the solvent based paints for the sets and props portion due to it's durability and abrasion resistance.

These are just some of the finishes we use quite often. And with a strong brand, you can be extra sure that your project will be unique and durable!
8)
JO







No comments:

Post a Comment