When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 16 November 2012

More Past Blasting!

With the theme of past cool projects, here's a few more I found:


I had the pleasure of working through another prop shop, working on Mr. Pibb from "Zoom"
He was a 10 or 12 channel remote control robot. He could walk, roll and was fully articulated! I was involved in working on some of the finishing touches, as well as puppeteering his entire upper-half on the many locations and sets. This included arms, claws, torso and camera iris for the close-up shots. It was a great opportunity, which I don't think I will ever forget!

This was another piece I worked on while at the other shop. This was a central piece for "Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium" It was huge, at somewhere over 15 feet!

 Lastly, is this huge spanish galleon. It was based on the San-fransico, but modified so as not to be any specific ship. It started as a production job, but then the project got shelved. I couldn't bear tossing it out, so I continued on my own in my spare time. It's pretty awesome in real life! It's just over 10 feet long, and 9.5 feet from the keel to the top of the mast. There are 12 deck cannons that are ported to fire compressed air and talcum powder. There's even little coach lights that light up and flicker, outside each doorway. The whole boat was plank on frame construction, then fiberglassed for water tightness. It takes 2-12v car batteries to power all the electronics, as well as an additional 100lbs of ballast to get it to the right waterline level! All the deck planking is actually PVC, scored and stained to look like wood, without the rot and decay that wood could suffer from on a water shoot. There isn't actually any visible wood on the boat. The planking on the outside of the hull was actually put back on, with paint techniques.










This bad boy has found a rather large home in the corner of our garage now. I haven't quite decided what to do with it as of yet. So if anyone wants to be the leader of a band of pirates, and experience life on the open seas, while being there own boss, this is the perfect purchase!
8)
JO


No comments:

Post a Comment