When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 2 May 2013

On with the show!

John and I worked in the shop for the day.They wanted some 'wild' manhole covers that could be placed wherever they need to be. We were originally going to pocket out the road way to inset them into, but the last minute changes on set have been so crazy, it's better to not lock ANYTHING down at this point!

Down the one side of the set is a row of "Main St." store facades. These were all cut on our Techno cnc. The main facades are all 1/4" styrene, with the mullions and trim done in 1/16" styrene. They wanted them in tones of grey, so as not to distract, or be confused with if it's a part of the playset.
All the sidewalk pads got cut from 3/8" mdf, and scribed on the Techno. I used Rustoleums 'make it stone' texture paint, and it will get it's final color tomorrow. You can see the pocket holes that will be a flower bed with one of our trees planted in the middle. The stuff at the back is 'Gutter Stuff' used to keep debris out of your eaves trough. But tomorrow it will become a beautifully manicure hedge along the park!

Meanwhile on set, the Monsters Inc set got it's final dress, and saplings planted along the curb of the asphalt roadway. The backdrop looks really cool I think. Whoever painted it did a great job!

Jody and Anna got the Dinosaur set dressed for now. I think there are some last minute changes happening with that one as well, but it doesn't shoot until Sunday, so it's all good right now.

8)
JO




No comments:

Post a Comment