When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 6 May 2013

Thankfully the weekend is over!

Not usually what you hear from people, but in our case we were out of steam. 7 days on set, from 7:30 crew call to 7-8-9-10pm plus the 2 hour commute each way. Jody and Anna stayed in a hotel by the studio for a night, and we were going to do the same, but it seemed every night I had to do something at the shop, so I couldn't stay in the end.
 This is Jody and the Art Director Alan Fellows. Alan's the guy who awarded us the gig. He's a great guy to work with, very little stress, and never really gets worked up at all. It really was like working with him, and not for him.
We also got to experience working with Kris Finnigan (next to Jody) and Jack Babcock far right. These 2 guys were the other people in the Art Department. They were on top of everything! If we needed something from the store, or anywhere, these guys were on it fast! Plus they were as chill as Jody, me and Alan. I REALLY hope to get to work with them again. Sadly, the only one not in the pics was the props buyer Nelson, the last piece in an amazing team. These guys are the other reason I love my job!
This is how things looked in my work area Saturday at 7:30 am. Sifting construction sand into 3 different sized pebbles! Not very exciting, but had to be done!
Some of the sand was slated for the soft shoulder of the Rescue Heroes set. I originally was going to just pour the sand right onto the model, but the kid actors really like to touch everything, which can make re-dressing a nightmare, and slow down production. So I went with a strip of .020 styrene glued to the bottom of the grass pad, and glued the sand to that. That way when they want the grass gone, depending on the shot set-up, it can fly out fast.
 The dinosaur set changed with every single shot, so it was next to impossible to get photo's of every set change. Basically we just moved everything around, and stuck the trees and moss wherever they needed it.


By wrap on Saturday, the dino set was jammed into the corner awaiting disposal! You'd think it might be a little sad, but by the end of the day, you don't ever want to see it again:)

I though I would just post the rest of the pics without descriptions, kind of like a small scrap book:














By wrap on Saturday, the dino set was jammed into the corner awaiting disposal! You'd think it might be a little sad, but by the end of the day, you don't ever want to see it again:)

I though I would just post the rest of the pics without descriptions, kind of like a small scrap book:


No comments:

Post a Comment