When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Can I Get Some Hands Please!

I had purposely left the hands on Counterspy guy until last. I must have sliced these every which way but Sunday. In the end I decided that maybe having them FDM 3d printed would be the answer. Until I got the estimate. They wanted $1500 a set. That would have been 3 grand for just the hands! Clearly I need to start a 3d printing business....................
I decided to go back to the drawing board and not rest until I had solved it!


In the end, These were the sliced files in STL Slicer. This configuration eliminated 85% of the undercuts that I was trying so hard to avoid.
After I oriented the parts in Hex, I added my own tubular machining tabs, and exported them to Cut 3d for double sided machining!
The machining with a 1/4" BN went pretty quickly on both sides.

I was actually quite impressed with my slicing skills! Sometimes you need to see the finished part, outside the computer screen, to really get a grasp on things.
All said and done I was really happy with the final outcome. There was a fair amount of finishing by hand to remove the undercuts around some of the fingers, but in the end we certainly saved over having them 3d printed, and the outcome was just as good in my book!
8)
JWO




No comments:

Post a Comment