When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Printing all the moneys...

The nice thing with using Aspire with 3d printing is it will triangulate and output a clean, watertight mesh, and 3d printers love a watertight mesh!
The surface deviation from the original model to stl format is very accurate!

The coins printed very well, and the support structure under the coin were a breeze to snap off and clean up. I much prefer the SLA 3d prints versus the FDM extruded type of 3d printing. Less cleanup, and better resolution!

We painted the coins out with several thin coats of gloss black, and when the time was right, we buffed silver powder onto them, making them read brighter than paint alone could achieve! Unfortunately, we couldn't leave them that polished looking, we needed to weather them considerably due to the "supposed" age of them. So all the coins got a glaze coat of a dirty brown, then wiped off to reveal the tarnished silver underneath.
I
In the end, they looked great! I have no idea what film this is for, but I'll be studying every new Wallace Shawn film closely!
8)
JWO


1 comment:

  1. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post. convert money online

    ReplyDelete