When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Who needs air bags?

I seem to be very good at manifesting the kind of jobs I want! For the longest time I have wanted to make a full size custom car. And that's exactly the job that we got called about!
As the production designer was discussing the car they wanted, my mind whirled with excitement. I was miles ahead of the conversation on the phone. Would we use fiberglass, would we cnc machine from foam with a hardcoat? What about the engine and drivetrain? However, as good as I am about manifesting my dream projects, I find I actually need to be specific.

It turns out that the custom car needed to fabricated from toilet paper. Not something that looks like toilet paper, but the real deal, packaging and all. Not exactly the shiny, futuristic, Mad Max, alien, steampunk, back to the future, Night riding General Lee vehicle I was dreaming about on the phone!

After I hung up the phone, I got to work laying out the actual vehicle we would be making.
The first step was to get each toilet paper package size we had at our disposal, into the computer. They also wanted a quick 3d render for approvals, so it made sense to build it accurately in 3d.
Designing a car from toilet paper packages is pretty much the same thing as building a Lamborghini from 9 pieces of Lego............very limiting, and very low resolution.
Once the one and only design option had been created and approved, I exported the 3d model out to DXF, and brought it into Corel. Once inside Corel, I could start laying out plywood structure that would support the toilet paper facade.

The toilet paper showed up right on time. However, all the toilet paper showed up. 4 skids piled 7 feet tall to be exact. They ended up sending all the toilet paper for the entire commercial shoot to the shop. That's alot of wiping!

8)
JWO





No comments:

Post a Comment