When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 14 September 2011

The 8th year in a row!


Last night was a late one for me. I was finishing up all the last minute details on the Toy Fair booth stuff. The last thing on our list was the regular yearly maintenance of the Hess gasoline miniature gas station model.We have been very fortunate to be able to work on all of the projects we turn out. Some are great, and some are fun, but to be able to work on a yearly commercial every year for 8 years in a row is something special. Hess gasoline is a major gas station chain in the U.S. and every year they launch a new collectible 'Hess Toy Truck' in time for Christmas. What the truck is every year is a closely guarded secret, and I will never tell, never I say! We have, in the past, done some pretty awesome stuff for this shoot. I've made camera rigs to full size stunt bikes, and more snow fx than the North Pole. The best part of this gig is getting to work with people I haven't seen in a year. Dale Fay, the director, is one of my favorite people to work with, and as he lives in the states, I look forward to seeing him every year. The 1st A.D. Kent Parker is another amazing guy. He works in the area, and has hired us for other stuff, through his own production company. Other people have come and gone on this job, so there is always someone new to meet. This will be our first time working with the new art director Alan Fellows, and I hope to work with both him and the new producer Erica Parks in the future. Jody stayed last night to give the gas station a cleaning and paint the 8'X 8' parking lot pad. There is always broken pieces here and there that need repair and paint. This gas station model is 8 years old this year, and has survived it's many shoots with a fair amount of grace. Tomorrow we are off to Boothworks to help clear up some of their massive overload on the toy fair stuff. I think we are helping paint some stuff for them. Then Saturday we will be back on the Hess shoot dressing the baking soda snow for the gas station miniature.


8)
JO

1 comment: