When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 5 September 2011

Another early day!

Sort of. I was up at 8:30 and headed over to the shop. I didn't get all the stuff built yesterday, so I had to wrap that up today. Due to the dry times on our materials, it was very important that the texture coat got applied today. I didn't have enough glue to do the texture coat with, so when I was picking up my materials yesterday, I picked up an alternative to the glue we normally use. I couldn't find what I wanted in the quantity I needed, which is what led to the alternative choice. No harm in trying. This product is a bonding agent for adding new concrete to existing concrete. It is a PVA based product, so I new it would be fine. It came in a 3 gallon jug and was half the price of my normal stuff. I mixed up my batch of coating and sprayed it onto the display base. After letting it sit for 40 min. I started to trowel it around. For the table surface, I just globbed it on, and troweled it around. All said and done I was only at the shop for around 5 hrs today. Nice!


When we are all done with the painting, This piece will look like a giant mechanical joint with a deeply pitted metal patina. Complete with a build up of oily looking, greasy staining where the hinge would rotate. No rust though, sadly. I like rust!

8)

JO
On a side note, the castors on the base are just for moving it around the shop. It won't ship with the busted one in the picture!!!

2 comments:

  1. Is that all made out of MDF? What about the convex pieces? Are they just thin pieces of MDF?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all MDF. The curved pieces are a product called 'wiggle wood' or 'flexi-ply' it's 3/8" thick and comes in 4X8 sheets. I have been able to bend it around as small as 8" with care. It's a bit like a wet noodle when your trying to cut it on the table saw though 8)

    ReplyDelete