When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Farewell dear Louie, we will miss you so.

On Tuesday I finished the miniature rotary engine for Louie's plane. Being that it's all PVC plastic, I think the fuel economy might be pretty good. However, I may need to beef up the cooling system!



The other part of this equation is the propeller. Being that Louie will be displayed hanging in the air, I didn't want the static, fixed propeller look. I decided that I would back engrave a disk of acrylic so it would have some life to it. We also got heavy into the painting of Louie himself. Using several layers of glazes and texture.




Finally today he all came together like a well oiled machine. When I was doing the files for the fuselage, I put in 1/2"  locating holes for the wing supports. The wings will have 2 rods and a neodymium magnet, this will allow the wings to come off for shipping, but require no fasteners for when he arrives at his destination.








Goodbye sweet, sweet Louie, maybe we will meet again. Fly safe my good friend, fly safe.

8)
JO

1 comment:

  1. Jamie,

    That is awesome! I love the look of the furry cuffs on his sleeve and jacket! Could you explain a bit more on how the air frame was made?

    ReplyDelete