When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Saturday, 24 September 2011

Sometimes our jobs can let us make HUGE PILES of money!!!

Quite literally! We got a call on Friday from a repeat client who needs a mound of coins. And they need it Thursday. This mound will be comped into a fountain scene. It's a fairly big mound of money, We will only be building half the pile, as the other have will never be seen because it's a still shot. The pile is going to be around 10 feet wide, 5 feet deep and around 12-16" high. I went to the shop today with my giant change jar from my dresser and got started. They want 75% quarters and approx. 25% dollar coins. So my plan for the money portion was to create a small section of money piled up, fill all the undercuts with clay, and make a mold of this. As the silicone rubber takes around 24 hours to cure, we needed to get started right away. Once the mold for this smaller pile is ready, we will cast about 10-15 pulls, and then attach all those together. Then we will make a big rubber mold of the new pile made from the smaller piles. The mound structure will be made from plywood frames covered in lathe wire. Once we start casting the bigger sheets, we will glue these to the lathe. The plan is to have these frames come apart in sections for delivery. we will then join them up at the studio and run the plumbing for the fountain water. The job isn't overly complicated, the timings very tight though, especially when your at the mercy of drying paint and curing rubber.

Heres the pile awaiting the mold walls.
Simple walls are done and sealed for the rubber.
Pouring the rubber after mixing forever.

We also made a mold of individual coins in case we need them. We hosed a board down with spray adhesive so the rubber wouldn't creep under the coin making removal of the mold easier.
Tomorrow I will build and cast the larger mold. As the casting resin is quite pricey, and has a limited shelf life after opening, we keep minimum amounts at the shop. We won't be able to get our 10 gallons of it until Monday, which fits the mold making timeline quite well.


No comments:

Post a Comment