When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Friday 25 May 2012

gettin ready for Indiana!

I finished the final paint on the Texture Rocks display. Woo-hoo, done! The gear motor works great, and jumps teeth when it's needed. I like it when it all works out!
The other job at hand was a sign I did for another shop 2 months ago. Their client decided they wanted to V-carve the border and text. This meant putting this 2'X3' slab back on the router for additional carving. Not an easy task at this point. I finally got it synced up to the original Aspire file. Not an easy task at all, due to the fact that the file didn't reside at 0-0 originally.
Set up time: 40 min.
Router time: 2min 28 seconds.
head shaking time: still going!

Jody and I are heading off to Indiana to teach at Robert Jones sign camp next week. This is going to be a lot of fun! There are 30 people signed up, and they're ready to learn.
I'm pumped at the opportunity of learning as well. There will be a lot of very experienced people attending.
I plan on posting daily during the camp, with as many pics as I can.
8)
JO


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jamie and Jody, I had a great time.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for everything Michael. You restoration work is incredible! Thanks for dinner Sunday night and the support all weekend. It was a great experience.

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed sharing some humor with you guys while learning tips on modeling and finishing. It made the weekend more fun. And, hopefully I'll be able to apply some of the techniques you've shown, to my new work. I wish I could have stayed longer. So does Mike. All he talked about on the way home was Jody this, Jody that.....

    Thanks for everything guys!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming, it was a pleasure to meet both you and Mike :)
      Hopefully we will see you next year!

      Delete