When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Time's up.......now it's gone :(

Today was the final day for the Time machine. We spent Monday and today doing the patina, and making it a little more aged.



I also picked up the 5 point harness that was in the script. This was very easy to install, mostly because it didn't need to be functional. I'd hate to be ripping through a dimensional worm-hole knowing the only thing holding me in was a few bolts into 1/4" MDF! We also added some copper looking frames around the vents on the pop-outs. This, and the patina, really helped pull it away from looking too Star Trek, and a little more "fabricated"
We grabbed a wiring harness from our Mechanic neighbor. I think it was from a Dodge Neon. We used the connectors as they were, screwed them into the inside, and ran the wires to the many available openings in the structure. It looked pretty complicated. I'd hate to trace the wires if they actually did something!

The control panel was put together from the various odds and ends that seem to be in every box marked "electrical" at the shop. The levers move up and down and most of the switches light up.

All of the lights are 12v automotive products. The centre ring display was made from a piece of 1/8" translucent black acrylic. I reverse cut a simple message from black vinyl, and applied it to the back side. That way when the light is off, you don't see that it says anything.

This was another great build! Thanks again to Chris Crane for getting us to work on this one. He was involved with the shoot for the Death Machine we did last year.
It's always a little sad to see a project come to a close (for the most part) It feels like my kid is moving out or something. Weird.

8)
JO

2 comments:

  1. what great job!

    Next week will be fun.

    ernie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! I absolutely love the finishing. You always do such an amazing job painting. What's next?

    ReplyDelete