When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday, 10 May 2012

The time machine certainly makes the day go fast

I drew up the final pieces for the hydraulic cylinders this morning and got those cut on our Techno cnc. I had to re-cut the centre reducers, as I got all confused about which circles got pocketed, and which circles got cut right through for the pipe.
 I machined all of these pieces from 3/4" pvc sheet.  As both the ABS pipe, and the PVC pipe are so out of round, it meant leaving a pretty sloppy tolerance on the reducers. But they worked out. I chem-welded all the parts, then drilled them out for additional screws, just so I didn't have to rely on the glue alone.

I've got lots of 1/2" extruded acrylic rod, so I used some of that to make the pins that will hold the cylinders to the arms that "support" the pod. I just received word today that they want some kind of retractable looking support legs on the pod as well. This is going to require some imagination, as we are getting a little crowded at the bottom now!
These look great! With some paint, chrome and hydraulic lines, they'll be quit convincing. When I was drawing up the files, I put in 1/4" holes for the pivot points (even though they don't move) that we will run a bolt through. I also added  additional 1/4" locating holes throughout the various parts, including the concrete curb. This let me assemble them all without having the pod built for the angles. Everything lines up perfectly.

I also got the lower section of the pod framed up as well. I added mitered strips up all the main support frames that will let me attach the 1/4" wall panels to.

 Jody made a great start on the concrete curb painting. Those should be finished up by tomorrow. I'm hoping to have all the fabrication done by Sunday, this will leave next week for paint and gak! I really want to make some large stator coils that mount to the concrete, with big scary looking power hook-ups. I want to be very, very afraid of being electrocuted when it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment