When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Thursday 26 May 2011

Bubbles everywhere, and Death leaves in the morning

Yaaay. The bubble gun is done. It wasn't that bad of a job. This is for the same photographer, Matt Barnes, as the crazy Yeti build was. I can't say to much, but its for an album cover. I spent most of the day making the little parts, and odds and ends, for the gun. As I got to sit down and work all day, it was a welcome break from the running back and forth on some of the other jobs! Before I knew it, it was all built. I spent quite a while looking at it, seeing if needed a little more here and there, but decided it was great right where it was. The finish came out pretty sweet as well I think. I basically sprayed the whole thing out in satin black, and when it was dry enough to handle, buffed aluminum powder into the black. If your patient enough, you can almost get to chrome this way. Then I buffed brass powder onto some of the details to give them a little more pop. I also did 1 soap container the same way, and left the second one in the transparent blue that it came in. This might be a nice colour pop as well, the choice will be theirs.


The Death machine is sooooooo close to being done that I get excited at the thought of it leaving soon. It eats a lot of space! We just have to bolt the legs to the pylons, and load it up.

JO

No comments:

Post a Comment