When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Monday 30 May 2011

A picture is worth a thousand words




The Death machine is finally over. A lot of happiness, and a bit of sorrow. I find after a long build, I feel a bit sad when a job finally wraps. The weekend shoot went great though. It was filmed on location at the Scarborough bluffs in Toronto. The Death machine had one last laugh at our expense though. The location was quite wet due to all the rain we've been having. After the install on Friday, we were trying to get the truck unstuck from the mud, when I had the brainiac idea to try and help pull it out with a cable and my minivan. "It should be ok-if I stay on higher ground where its less wet" Well not so much. In the end, I was stuck, the pickup was stuck, the tow truck that we called was stuck, and the 2nd tow truck took an hour and a half to get us all out. Yup, one last laugh at our expense. And by expense, I mean $200.00 for the yank out.
Oh well, it was all worth it. Everyone we worked with on the weekend were stellar. It was a amazing to get to work with actor Julian Richings. An amazingly nice man who was absolutely captivating to watch run his lines.
As a write this blog, I am reminded of the email reply from the director when I submitted our quote: "I just want to point out how awesome an invoice for a DEATH MACHINE is!"










JO

No comments:

Post a Comment