When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Grey is a good start for DEATH




The title says it all! Jody started heavy into the base coat on the Death machine today. The texture step was well worth cleaning the wet compound 90 over-spray off the walls and doors, as our drop cloth was unsuccessfull in catching it all.
As Jody worked her but off with the painting, I was able to make some headway on the buoy. We used dowel for the 'welded' pipe and MDF for the spike and top cap. Not really water proof, but it will be ok for the couple of hours at sea. For the base, we cut a disk and wrapped it in Sintra. This part definitely needs to be water resistant. Then we'll cut some foam as a floatation device, to keep somewhat upright.

Tomorrow we'll pre-mask the sign panel and cut cut the graphics with our Techno CNC. I decided to paint the graphics, instead of using vinyl, so we could partially sand it down to make the text look weathered.



JO

No comments:

Post a Comment