When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Death claims another victim

Well the death machine claimed its second victim. It was Jody. I guess technically, she was the 2nd AND 3rd victim. After she drilled her finger working on the harrow plate, I had to lend a hand finishing up with that, and lifted the finished plate up and caught her in the mouth. She said she was going to tell everyone that I split her lip with my wedding ring :) We have been working mega overtime trying to get all the loose ends buttoned up so we are ready for the Friday install. We've also been doing some 3-d modelling for our client Brilliant Creative, modelling some trade show displays. So to say we've been swamped is an understatement!


On the harrow, I was able to move the needle assembly over to the toothed belt drive, and that seems to be working great.










The bed got it's final paint job and we also picked up the belts for the "victim" holding straps, and got those installed. I made a copper pipe mouth piece that the victims has to bite down on, while his head has a strap ratcheted down on it. It's kind of gruesome really.


So the only parts left, are to run the tubing that will spray water to wash the blood away, mount the legs to the concrete pylons, and make the harrow cover so no one can see the 18v cordless drill running the needles! Oh yeah, and the pipe that all the wires and smoke will run through.

Phew! that's all.
We also got awarded the "bubble Gun" job. That shoots Friday as well. I was able to pick up a small gun that really shoots bubbles! So with the deadline of Friday, the only option is to hack the one we bought to make it look way cooler. I did a bit of work on it today, and should finish up tomorrow. Maybe the prop fairy will visit the shop tonight. That would be awesome.


JO

No comments:

Post a Comment