When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIRE software, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.
Friday, 20 May 2011
Death, it's really a black and white issue
The last 2 days have seen some jumps in the death machine build. I was able to install all the camshafts and needle carriers. There's quite a few hours into this process for sure. When your dealing with plastic parts and small tolerance discrepancies, the errors can rapidly compound. And what is in the computer, doesn't always translate to the real world perfectly. I intentionally left the a little play in all the parts as we made them up, which translated into some issues when we were testing the camshafts. It took a little while to go over all of the 132 moving parts and fix the little issues we had, but by the end of the day it was all running fine. I will switch out the pulley and belt system we were using for a toothed belt drive system. This will provide far more torque to drive all the needles. This is so I can run them all from 1 drive motor. The less stuff the better! The video shows only 1 bank of needles running, but it will look pretty cool with all 4 banks running at the same time.
We really liked the original rust colours as a base, but now we need to work for B&W. So as we photograph, we're taking them all sans colour. Just so we can keep an eye on the contrast. And these are the pics I'll post.