A behind the scenes look at film and television Prop making peppered with everything else creative we do!
When I lent my services to a collegue who was working on a film about 12 years ago, I was introduced to the world of cnc. I remember watching this huge machining centre milling out a slab of mdf and turning it into a fantastic set of gears. I knew that it would have taken me hours to achieve the same thing with traditional power tools. I decided then that I would invest in a cnc router for my own business Oxenham Design. At that time I could turn on a computer, but even to check email seemed like a crazy set of operations. I persevered and learned every piece of relevant software I could get my hands on. I am now fortunate enough to be using Vectric's ASPIREsoftware, and Techno cnc routers, which has helped us to create some amazing projects, both in part, or in full. I thought that this blog would be a great place to share "behind the scenes" adventures with the software, materials and equipment we use, as well as the projects we build.
Friday, 26 April 2013
Some color is happening!
I returned from my morning delivery and material run around 1pm. Doing Toronto runs always bag me out. I just want to have a nap when I get back!
When I got back, Jody and Anna had the mountain top all hard coated. We mixed in a dark grey latex to the durabond, to help with elasticity and adhesion. Looks pretty good for a base coat I think.
The girls also textured the base plate the mountain top sits on as well. Very little of this will be in frame, so we don't have to have a lot of detail to this part. Most of the detail will come from real gravel and rocks. No hard-coat on this stuff either, just painted foam.
I started the last files for the Sponge Bob set as soon as I got back as well. These ran for pretty much the rest of the day. Our Techno cnc worked through his lunch, and didn't take an afternoon break either, damn I love that guy!!
While I was out, I picked up a 24" styrofoam sphere that will hang on the set as the moon. This basically comes as 2 halves that you have to glue together. I used sprayfoam for this, taping the seams to keep the foam from pushing the halves apart. Before I glued them up, I placed a 4" disk inside, bolted to an eyelet that sticks out the top for hanging. A little overkill, but the moon crashing to earth would be a story passed down for hundreds of generations! This will get textured tomorrow, and painted(I hope)
This was the disaster area at 7 pm! I've luckily rented the neighbors shop for the weekend, so we will have a place to store all these pieces until we load them up Monday at 10am for their trip to the Studio.
The next couple of days is going to be interesting I think!